By Sam Sooppersaud
During week I received three phone calls from three cricket fans, wanting to know whether there is any truth to rumors that the region’s Under-19 coach, Ricky Kissoon will be removed from his assignment. My answers to all three gentlemen were that I have not heard anything, but I will try to find out if there is any truth to the rumors.

Current New York Under 19 coach Ricky Kissoon.

Keeping my promise to the fans, I made numerous phone calls, to people “in the know”, in The Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens; persons who are constantly around the game.  A summation of my calls made me to think that there is some truth to the rumors. Apparently, personnel in the New York Regional administration are not too pleased with the “press” that Coach Ricky Kissoon is getting. These malcontents feel that Ricky’s star is shining brighter than theirs and hence it should be dimmed. Who is behind the conspiracy to axe the coach? One name keeps repeating. I will get back to that.

Who is Ricky Kissoon? As a player in his more youthful days, he captained the Cosmos Cricket organization. he was an excellent left arm spinner who performed well year after year. He represented the NY Cricket Region on several occasions. He was called to trials for the USACA senior team three times. Ricky, although not a “spring chicken” anymore, still plays league cricket, and is still a productive bowler for his club.

Coach Kissoon has a wealth of knowledge working with youths. After all he is an educator, a licensed New York City Board of Education school teacher. He is working with youths every day. Ricky is around cricket nearly every waking hour of the day. His passion is organizing and working with the youthful cricketers. Only last year he took the teams he put together and coached, The Bronx Kings, to the finals of the PAL, the Police Athletic League.

Krish Prasad is the New York Region Representative to USACA.

On a professional level, Coach Kissoon is the Assist Commissioner of cricket in the PSAL, the Public Schools Athletic League. He works closely with Commissioner Mr. Bassett Thompson and Cricket Administrator Ms. Lorna Austin in setting up and running the schools tournament. The PSAL program is the most successful cricket program focusing on youths, in the New York Metropolitan area. Cricketers from the PSAL program have gone on to represent the NY Region and the USACA senior team as well.

Allow me to touch, briefly, on recent history in the NY Region. You recalled that last year the Chairman of the region, Mr. Morrishaw was forced out of that position. The person behind that coup was Mr. Krish Prasad, the Regional Representative to the board of USACA. Getting the axe also were Under-19 coach, Mr. Fraser and manager, Dr. Dodson. Numerous trumped-up charges were given as the reasons for the firings. In their places were appointed Mr. Selwyn Caesar, former treasurer of USACA, as Regional Chairman, and Zamin Amin, as coach of the region’s Under-19 squad. Both these gentlemen are close associates of Mr. Prasad.  Krish involved in the latest rumor!  Dunno know! Let’s wait and see how this will play out.

My sources tell me that Mr. Caesar has no plans to remove Coach Kissoon in as much as he is being pressured to do so. The other members of the regional administration are split. As you know the regional administration comprises of the leagues’ presidents, and four members appointed (elected) by the administration (Regional Representatives). The pervading feelings among the representatives is that Coach Kissoon has done a good job, so far. The New York Region is the Eastern Conference Under-19 Champions, a title won by the Under-19 squad coached by Ricky. There is an old saying, “don’t fix it if it ain’t break”.

The NY Region Under-19 is now preparing for the USACA National Championship, to be played November 12-14 2010, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  It is believed that “the powers-that-be” are contemplating removing Coach Kissoon and replacing him with the national Under-19 coach, Mr. Shivnarine.  Does everything look “kosher” here? To add further to the mystery, it is alleged that if Mr. Caesar does not agree to replace the coach, then his head may roll.

I, myself, have been around the cricket scene in the New York area for five decades. In addition to being a player, I have been the president of a league (Brooklyn CL) and a secretary of a league (EACA). I have been involved in the formation of several cricket clubs. In all my involvements, one thing I have always noticed (experienced). That is the need by some people to get into high positions and then wield power, indiscriminately. They have to “be the straw that stir the drink”. Their motive: ME, MYSLF, and I.

Coach Ricky Kissoon is doing a fine job. Leave him alone. Concentrate on programs that will help uplift cricket. Look around the cricket park. You’ll see more young men coming into the game. There are more youths now than the older guys in the game. This is due largely to the PSAL and PAL cricket programs. Over 75% of the youths in the NY Under-19 are from the PSAL, of which Ricky Kissoon is the Assistant Commissioner. He is not about to “steal your show” guys, but to help bring home a National Championship to the New York Cricket Region.

14 Comments

1. David Sentance says:

At least New York has a coach. Krish and Manuf control the selection process at all levels of US Cricket-so long as the results improve that’s ok. In California none of our guys get selected at the top level except for Aditya. We need a national statistician so performance numbers create a more scientific basis for selection. Politics keeps Guyana’s mode of expression-cricket-locked in New York.

2. ronmaxx123 says:

Well well ladies and gents. After carefully Analize the situation, I think its only fair that this guy Mr. Kissoon is the RIGHT person for the JOB… Mr. Derrick and friends only wants to be politicions and keep looking out for themselvs. I remember seeing a clip fron SHIV, after the u19 national team went to NZ, all he did was through these kids under the bus, complining how they were’nt ready for this type of cricket. If that was the case you were the COACH, it was your job to get them ready. It shows how much you Shiv, can communicate the people. To be a caoch you MUST be able to first respect your self and then others. As to the Mr. Derrick all he wants is to be paid for everything he does, also there is Krish woh in my mind is thee worst cicket official I have ever seen…Everytime someone comes along and out shines him, he wants the out. If you only knew what to do then you would be the right person… So my friends lets not make these fools in NY ruin our kids future in cricket lets take a stand and give Mr. Kissoon all the support he needs.

3. THE MASTER says:

FIRST THE CRICKET IN NEW YORK IS GETTING LIKE THE GHETTO. SECOND MONEY IS GETTING IN THE WAY OF THE CRICKET. MONEY MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND AND BRING A SH*T LOAD OF PROBLEMS. NOW BACK TO THE TOPIC MR. KISSOON IS THE MAN FOR THE JOB AND WE ALL KNOW IT, SO STOP ALL THE NEGATIVE COMMENT AND SUPPORT THE NY UNDER -19 TEAM.

4. josh says:

Gentlemen,we need indivudual who will be recpected by our youths.The guys who are pushing themselves to be coach and selectors have no clue how to talk to youths.I was at the game when Robin Das made his century and it shows we have potential cricketers here in NY,however we need to have people that these youngsters respect and look up to as coach and managers.
    What happen to this guy that coach and manage MMZ and EACA under 19 teams before, Mr Asgarally ? I have seen him with most of the youths that are involved in the youth tournament and if I may recall about 8 or 9 of these youths are currently in his team.He seems like a very likeable person and very a respected individual,my opinion is that Mr Kisoon and Mr Asgarally are probably the two most respected individuals amoung these youths.
    Hope the Guys involved in our cricket take a very good look at our situation we are facing and try to correct it ASAP.
    The way I see it in this region if you are a drinking partner or a friend with those guys then yes you will be a part of things.
    Good luck Ricky Kissoon and the NY team.
    Keep up the good work Sam.

5. cricket league says:

INSIDEMAN: I am not sure if it was Andy’s fault.

6. cricket league says:

GAH: Guyanaese are not the only players playing the game of cricket. We have many Bangladeshi, and Pakistani as well, but you have to be very committed inorder to excel to the next level. You are more than welcome to contribute to the game further development. Please do not let “cricket politics” discourage you. Reach out to Mr. Kissoon and share your ideas with him.

7. To politicsfreecricket:
    Thank you, my friend. I will do my best to get more articles on the net
    SAam

8. Thank you,gentlemen, for your very constructive comments. I do not deal in negativity, so I try my ver best to point out what appears to need rectification. That is my only agenda. I do not write to malign anyone. I must point out that the cricket administrators spend lots of time doing what they do, with no comensuration. They work grstis. So does Mr. Krish Prasad. He along with the others must be thanked for their efforts. However, if one has tried, and has been trying for nearly two decades to do a job, and is not getting anywhere, then he should just quit and have someone else try his hands at doing the job.

But many of these guys who wield power are not so pure in their thinking and actions. They will “milk the cow up to the last drop”, but refused to cut some grass for its food.
    Keep sending in your comments. Do not be like a certain league president who called to chastice me that the rumor is false. He went thru a diatribe with me over the phone. I asked him to put his comments on the net so that cricket fans can see his views also. His answer was that he does not want to write anything on the net. He “just want to tell me” thatthe rumor is not the truth.

9. INSIDEMAN says:

FYI Sam, Fraser is no longer part of the Kris Prasad group since the Andy Mohammed story. In fact Kris is one of the reasons why Fraser cant get a coaching gig for the US. I think the management staff( Fraser and Hooper) last year was doing a good job when they were sacked by the NY region. I have heard all the false rumors. I think the region should leave Mr.Kissoon to do what he is doing. He is also doing a good job and I hope he will continue to do so. However, we definitely need a new chairman for the region. Good luck to Ricky and the guys in Florida.

10. politicsfreecricket says:

@ Sam, you will not get many responses from your article, what I have notice in my short time with New York Cricket— if you do not write a lot of negative “stuff” and you write the truth no one has anything to say (its hard to dispute the truth) . I must say you are one of the respected writers in the area –you are not afraid to put friendship aside and report the facts.The only PROBLEM I have with you is —————YOU DO NOT WRITE OFTEN ENOUGH. Looking forward to your next article.

11. cricket league says:

Under what grounds should he be replaced?

12. GAH says:

I find it interesting in the cricket community. The minute one disagrees with the present admininstration or has a difference of an opinion, you are ostracize. At prsent it appears as if only Guyaneses play the game of cricket. We all play the game and have something to contribute to the game’s further development.

13. I thank you politicsfreecricket for your comment. I would hope that more cricket fans would send me their comments. You don’t have to agree with my views I respect everyone’s viewpoint. Wew all should pool our resources for the upliftment of the game. So come on guys, tell me what’s on your minds.

14. politicsfreecricket says:

it would be very unfortunate if Mr Kissoon is replaced.