PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad –Adrian Barath is planning to use the upcoming NAGICO Super50 to regain a spot in the West Indies team. The diminutive Trinidad & Tobago opener believes the big scores will come in the limited-overs series as well as in the WICB Regional Four-day championship to follow.
The NAGICO Super50 tournament will be played at Queen’s Oval in Trinidad and Shaw Park in Tobago from January 30 to February 15. The home side have been drawn in Zone B alongside Barbados, Combined Campuses & Colleges and Leeward Islands.
“I am obviously setting my goals, we have the World Cup in Australia, and I have good memories in Australia,” said the 23-year-old. “My goal is to get into that West Indies team in 2015 (World Cup in Australia and New Zealand). I know I have to perform in the NAGICO Super 50 tournament. I have done a lot of work on my game.”
Barath spent last year at the Sagicor High Performance Centre where he made some changes to his game. Back in 2009 the right-handed opener had an amazing Test debut in Australia, where he made a blazing century in his second Test innings at the Gabba.
“I want to take what I did at the Sagicor HPC camp and apply it so I can have a good regional series. It is not going to be easy because we have a lot of good West Indies players in terms of opening batsmen,” Barath said.
“So I am looking forward to the 2014 season – both in one-day cricket and four-day cricket. I want to use my performances as a platform to get back into the West Indies team once I perform well.”
He added: “We have been working really hard and the preparation is coming along really well. We are confident, playing at home…this is a big tournament and everyone is aware of what they have to do. We aim to go out there and win.”
The NAGICO Super50 tournament will run from January 30 to February 15 and will be broadcast live on ESPN and on Caribbean Super Station radio. Matches at Queen’s Park Oval will be day/night fixtures while matches at Shaw Park, Tobago will be day games.